Bad Day.
Have you ever heard the song by Fuel, “Bad Day”? “She left a note it said, “I’m sorry, I had a bad day again.” I wish that I had the gusto to sing that song…but I no longer have anymore energy left to. I am all drained out.So I guess I should start by apologizing for not posting anything for awhile, but I’ve been busy. And with this post, I wish that I could have great news for the lack of entries, but I don’t.
I have been busy…super busy with school, work, interviews, tests, and life in general. For example, Saturday and Sunday I spent a cumulative total of 16 hours in the library studying for my cost test that was Monday. I outlined chapters, redid the homework, reread and thought that I understood the handouts and problems worked in class, because you see the Prof said not to memorize, but understand what you are doing. So Monday came, I left work 2 hours early to run over a few more problems for the third time, and took the test. I left thinking that it seemed a little too easy, but I felt confident that I had at least a solid C, if not better. But when we got to class yesterday and she handed back the tests, my world crumbled.
Before she even handed me the test back I started to cry. You see, she had the stack kind-of facing the table, so you could clearly see the name and corresponding grade. I couldn’t even look at it. Frankly put, I go the LOWEST grade in the class. For simplistic measures, it was an F. I don’t get those types of grades, especially when I have studied and thought that I knew what the material was about. So anyways, I am visibly distraught. I am trying to not cry but that doesn’t work.
We go over the test, and the questions that I got wrong were wrong. While reviewing I knew the right answer, but it was like someone played a cruel joke and switched out their test with mine. So I’m crying…nose is running…face is red and I’m getting the “pity look” from my colleagues.
Then she starts complaining about how poorly we did and starts calling people out and asking what they think that they did wrong. She goes around the room, and then calls out, “So, Robin, what do you think that you did wrong?” I, of course, am not paying any attention because I am focusing on breathing due to the fact that I CAN’T. Then she goes on, “That’s your name right? Robin”. Which is followed by the class responds of, “No, it’s Melinda.” At this point I look up to find all eyes on ME. So I responded sheepishly and in a whisper, “I don’t know.” Which caused the tears to flow again.
Now you must understand, I am not a crier…unless if I am under extreme stress or lack of sleep…or both. This case it was both. You see, in Grad School you are only allowed 2 C’s. For me, I have already burned those, one in FIN 554 and the other in Corp. Tax. Adv Cost is only offered in the Fall, and so is FIN 554. So if I get a third C, then I must STAY one more semester and retake Corp Tax and bump that up to a B. So my world was crumbling around me basically.
So anyways, she takes back the test to her office. At this point I am a puddle of tears, I no longer have any tears left, I would have left 75 hours earlier, but I am 3 deep at my table. So it would have been harder to leave, so I stayed. She comes back and teaches the next chapter. This is where my headache sets in. I can no longer concentrate. I am lost to the world going on around me. Class finally ends and I slowly pack up my stuff to not be in the way and I then make a mad dash to the bathroom. But before I get there I am stopped or slowed down by 3 people who are asking me if I’m “okay.” I respond in tears, “I will be.” I am offered hugs, drinks, and help. I gratefully accept the latter, by my best friend Charlie. He figures out for me that I need to make 89’s on the next 2 tests and I will have a B in the class and I WILL graduate. So, if I’m not around much, it’s because I trying to understand cost accounting.
And mark my words Dr. Ormsby, you may have tripped me, but you did not knock me down. I am graduating in December with a B in your class.
Whoever said life was easy?
Dusting myself off and raring to going,
Melinda
4 Comments:
You can do it, I believe in you!
"I am not a crier...unless under stress or extremely tired..."
So, you're always stressed and tired?!?
You are SO a crier! More than you care to admit!
But, I'll cry with you.
Thanks...okay truth be known, I do cry. But I try not to....so there. "Riding in Cars with Boys" tears is a prime example of "didn't mean to cry" tears...being called out in class and failing a test...calls for tears! :) I just don't like crying in front of everyone in my class. Including the hanish witch known as Ormsby.
so sorry sweetie! you will do better.
no more crying at school! geez!
Post a Comment
<< Home