Tuesday, September 27, 2005

What about….Melinda

Have you ever seen the movie, “What about Bob?” It’s about this annoying unwelcomed visitor that a family tries to get rid of. Now I’m not saying that that’s how I felt, but it’s not too far from the truth.

Well it all started Thursday night when my sister called me asking what our plan was going to be for Rita. The original plan was to after I got off of work Friday to go to her place and sit it out. But plans changed as of Friday morning. The entire campus except for Payroll did not have to report to work. So while I was here, I got a frantic/crying call from my sister informing me that we were going to Mesquite (near Dallas) when I got off of work. She then proceeded to freak me out, so I left work after being here only 2 hours to pack up my house, fill up with gas, and drove 80 mph towards her house (all the while, I’m freaking out about my parents and their safety). We left at 1 ish to find Frank (her father-in-law) with Mamaw and Papaw (the grandparents-in-law) in tow and drove. There was not much too any traffic thanks to the back roads. We got there, I guess, around 4ish. We unpacked, I started laundry, had dinner, fed the ducks, played cards, watched the news, and went to bed. We were awoken by the baby at some early time in the morning. And the day continued like everyday after that until Monday. Highlights included going to the mall to buy nothing because of the lack of money issue, painting Judy’s (sister’s mother-in-law) toes, and seeing Steven (brother-in-law/new face), oh…and BEATING MICHELLE AND JUDY at Phase 10!!!! We got word from Jonathan (sister’s husband) that power was on at Mamaw and Papaw’s place, so they were ready to go back home well Friday night. Did you know that Mamaw likes sweet things, but after eating them she has to get the sweet taste out of her mouth…so she eats something after dessert, ie another piece of fish. Odd.

So Monday at 9am we loaded Frank’s big diesel truck with my stuff and their stuff to go back to Nac, as I was offering to get in first, Mamaw looked over at me and asked if I was coming too….to that I replied “yes” and she didn’t look to thrilled…I don’t think she likes me! Or she was just tired of me. :) So we made it back to Nac by 1. I didn’t get car sick, but I was close to it…I picked up my car and drove to my house to find no power. I thought that my house wasn’t too hot, that was until I started cooking some of the meat that was still frozen. It got so hot in that house that I thought that I was going to die. So I called up Jen and Charlie to ask if I could borrow their couch, due to the fact that they only lost power for 30 minutes on Saturday. She graciously agreed, and now here I am, sleeping in someone else’s house. It’s not that I’m not thankful, I am…I’m ecstatic that I’m staying there, but I want to go home, but I can’t…so I’m here stuck in Nac.

I hope that I’m not complaining too much, but it seems that everyone has a sob story that is worse than mine. So I must remember that I am grateful to still have a house. I am grateful that I have such loving and caring family and friends that are willing to spare some comfort and sleep to put up with me. I am grateful that my parents are just fine, with power. I am grateful that the interview is still on for Thursday, so I only have 2 more days in this town!!! :) I am grateful most of all, that I know that no matter what happens God is always watching over me and my family and friends and He will meet each and ever one of my needs.

Forever Grateful,
Melinda

1 Comments:

At 9/27/2005 6:39 PM, Blogger Amanda said...

glad you are home. can't believe you had to work. can't believe mamaw doesn't like you.

still no electricity? note to self: don't cook meat when there is no air conditioning. :)

oojdqqmm (Oooh! I can't think of anything that sounds like this, but it is a cool one!)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home