Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Long Time Coming

Okay…I am sorry that I am finally writing, but I’ve been a little busy and it ends up that the only good time to do this is after everyone has gone to bed due to the fact the they don’t like to relinquish their computers!!! :)

Okay…so the news that you all want and are dying to know… “How was NEW YORK???” It was great. I could so visit there once a month or so. Not live there…but definitely visit A LOT! :) So four days cramped into one page goes like this…We left Christmas day at 8:30ish and flew out to Newark, NJ. It was raining. If it was just 10 degrees colder, it would have been snow. We then went to our hotel, the Warwick, checked in, changed clothes and walked around.
We went to Rockefeller Center, Time Square, St. Peter’s Cathedral, and anywhere else we could think of…in the rain. It varied between a light mist to a nice rain, so my brother, the only one without an umbrella, who didn’t want to share with me, was soaked to the bone, cold and not happy so he didn’t enjoy the first day too much. We ate at Broadway Joe’s Steakhouse, and it was good. We walked around some more, but not too much, because we were still cold and wet. I awoke Monday morning at 6:45…New York Time. That was SUPER early. We got ready and were out of the hotel before 8. We ran into Starbucks and then we were off to the Today Show to see Matt. One thing that I did learn was that he was a super small-tiny-little man. After that we walked all round Manhattan shopping…well more window shopping than anything. We went to FAO Swartz, the Disney Store, the Hershey Store, the 4-story Abercrombie and Finch store, and of course….TIFFANY’S!!! It was AMAZING. I found a ring that I want…and it’s only worth $30k….but I also found another ring, it was only $7k. They were both really really nice, but due to the fact that a) I am not made of money…yet, b) that is too much for one man to live up to, and c) I would be afraid to wear it to a client’s location, I decided to pass on both. We also took a horse-drawn carriage ride through Central Park, toured Grand Central Station, and after a phone call to my sister, Serendipity. But we couldn’t get in because there was a 3 hour wait with no reservations available…hum...maybe next time! That night we went to see the Phantom of the Opera. It was the BEST. We then went to Bubba Gump’s Shrimp Restaurant, in the middle of Time Square. The food there was not that bad and the view was great. We took a taxi back to the hotel and crashed into bed. The third day I got up at the same time, but not with the same amount of vigor. We left the hotel probably around 8:30, went to Starbucks and then took the subway down to Chinatown. We then walked down the Pier 17 and waited in line for tickets that we never bought. By while we were there, Matt and I found the Brooklyn Bridge. We then haggled our way through Chinatown. It was great. In the end, I ended up with three purses, one being a Gucci, for under $100. And one of those was for my sister. :) See so I do think of someone besides myself sometimes! After we (everyone else but me) grew weary of shopping, we walked to Little Italy to get some good food to eat. Once again, it was GREAT. After walking around a little more, we took the Subway back to the hotel to drop the loot off and to rest a second. (aka to take a short nap) After feeling refreshed and raring to go, we went back towards Time Square to look for somewhere to eat. We tried a few places, but due to the 3 hour wait list, we ended up at Charlie-O’s…it wasn’t my favorite, but it was still okay. We then walked around Times Square some more, bought a few things and went back to the hotel. We packed and got ready for our last night and final day in New York. We got up again at the same time, but instead of going together someplace, my mom and I took the subways to the Empire State Building while my dad and brother took at taxi to the Intrepid…riddle me that. We only waited in line for maybe an hour or so. But it was worth it. We got some great shots and froze our butts off. From there we went back to the hotel, met up with the other half and went to lunch at some café place. We then went back to the airport and by 9pm that night we were back in Houston. It was quite sad and freaking HOT. It sounds like all we did was eat and shop…but then again what else are you going to do in New York?!? :) So that was our family vacation to New York City…in a nut shell. Hope you enjoyed it as much as I did!!! I can’t wait to go back! Maybe this late spring or summer!

Dreaming big dreams because of you,
Melinda

2 Comments:

At 1/04/2006 9:53 AM, Blogger Amanda said...

finally!

i was beginning to think this whole trip was either a) a big secret you would never tell us or b) made up to make the rest of us feel bored on Christmas day.

glad you are back safely!

 
At 1/04/2006 2:53 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

Thanks for the pictures! They're great!
Hope to see you soon! So that you can bring ALL the printed pictures so that I can see them and be jealous! :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home