Wednesday, November 02, 2005

Frosties and Popcorn

Today for lunch I asked Dale to pick me up a small Frosty from Wendy’s when he got his lunch. He gleefully complied and less than 10 minutes later he came back with a wonderful, chocolaty ice cream delight. And then, during my first bite, I was all of a sudden transported back to the late eighties and early nineties. You know…before Matthew knew that Michelle and I were pure evil, when he would let us dress him up (in girly clothes) and he didn’t care, when it was cool (for him) to have older sisters! :)

Every Sunday night at the Robie household, my dad would go to Wendy’s while my mom would pull out the old popcorn popper. We would find some movie, either on T.V., like Neverending Story or something that we recorded off of HBO when we had it for “free” in California, like Star Wars. We would all curl up with our own huge bowls of popcorn with more popping in the background, our own frosty, I normally had my huggy pillow and blankey, and we'd all settle in for a good time.

As I sit here, enjoying my frosty, I long to go back those twenty years. When I could just curl up with a bowl of popcorn and a frosty and not have to worry about the additional calories in this bite, or wonder when my sedentary lifestyle will fully catch up with me, or if this $100 bridesmaid dress will even need to be altered. When life scared me, like the wolf in Neverending Story or Darth Vader, I could hide under my blanket and I was safe. I didn’t have to worry about passing Cost, graduating, deciding which offer to accept, if I'm even going to marry, or what I’m going to do for the rest of my life. When dreams were never ending. I miss those days and I long for my carefree life that I had. I wait with great anticipation for the day that when I fall asleep, my mind will stop running and my dreams will be peaceful. But that’s a little too deep for you into my psyche. Anywoo...I guess what I’m saying is that I cherish those Sunday nights many years ago and I can’t wait to have my own family, because we will be having a Sunday night movie night…screw the calories.

In retrospect, I wonder, could the old movie night and my mother’s compulsive movie purchasing be correlated? I wonder if that’s her way of reliving the past…odd, I never really thought about that until now. Well that’s all I have for now…I’m spent and it’s only Tuesday.

Well I hope you have a wonderful day and Amanda Sue, HAPPY BIRTHDAY (tomorrow)!!!

Wishing they made fat free Frosties,
Melinda

3 Comments:

At 11/03/2005 7:10 AM, Blogger Amanda said...

mmmmm. frosties... maybe i will get one today.

did the popcorn and frosties get ingested TOGETHER? i object to that. they need to be seperate, but on another blog, lots of people were talking about what they dip in their frosties. ew!

thanks for the birthday wishes :)

 
At 11/03/2005 5:40 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

now you have me all reminiscent, thinking that we need to have a "Movie Night" pretty soon!
Want to do it this weekend? Friday maybe?
Let me know!

 
At 11/08/2005 9:55 AM, Blogger Jennboree said...

Movie Nights rock! Well, more in the old days when Monday Night Movie was the thing because we had an antennae and that's what was offered.

Now we just scroll through 250 movie channels never finding anything to watch.

Frosty...mmmmmmmm

 

Post a Comment

<< Home