Wednesday, August 16, 2006

BRRRIIIINNNGGG....

The bell rang and I jumped out of my tiny plastic chair. I looked around to find that everyone had gone to recess. My friend Emily is shaking my arm, trying to gently wake me up before the new teacher noticed that I was sleeping. After looking around the empty room, I look down to remember that I’m wearing some dress with a belt that my mom always makes me wear for school pictures. As I’m walking out to the play ground with Emily, my shoes that didn’t feel right, caught some crack in the cement and I fell face first in front of Josh, my crush. I can feel the heat start to spread from my neck all the way up to my ears. Hot tears of embarrassment begin to well up in my eyes. I take a deep breath and slowly sit up. I wipe the tears from my eyes to find that my room is dark, it’s 3:45 in the morning, I am in a cold sweat, and I’ve only been asleep for a couple hours. I calm myself down by chanting out loud, “I am an adult, I am 24 years old, and I don’t even have to go to school again.” I get up, get a glass of water, lie back down, and think of something else to dream about.

I don’t know what it is about the first day of school. I have always been uneasy and nervous. From as early as I could remember, the night before school starting was my most exciting/restless/sleepless night in the year. And when I hit high school and even into college when everything was broken up into semesters, it then turned two nights out of my year that I couldn’t sleep. It was worse than the night before Christmas or night before some big test. I would get an upset stomach the night before or the day of, so I won’t want to go. I was nervous to see who my teacher was, if they would like me, who would be in my class, if I could sit next to my friends…you know everything that a kid would worry about on the first day, but for some strange reason it was intensified. But what worries me now is that I’m still having those dreams, those nerves and I’M OUT OF SCHOOL!!! So to all you psychoanalysis…what does this mean??? :) But to all of you who went back to school today, yesterday, or tomorrow…I wish you luck and I’m feeling your pain!!!

Good luck on the new school year!!

Love you,
Me

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home