Sticky fingered neighbors
I think of myself as a normal, level-head, sharing type person. I am a middle child, I am used to sharing, but usually when I share it is because someone has ASKED me if it was okay to borrow/use/take. But when it comes to neighbors, this rule seems to not apply.I live, well, on the outskirts of the ghetto. Now granted, Nac’s ghetto is not the same as Houston’s or Dallas’s ghetto, but when you don’t have a dead bolt on your door and there are people walking around that are questionable to the intentions, I believe it to be considered the “ghetto”. Plus there are certain streets that I’m not “allowed” on after a certain time (an instruction that I got before I lived in this house) that are basically across the street from me!
But I digress. The problem started about a year ago. My sister’s best friend Erin used to live in the house, two renters before me, and one of the many special items that she left behind included an outdoor grill. I only used it once for a Super Bowl party, when a few weeks later it was removed from my front porch. I didn’t say anything about it to my landlords, I didn’t report anything to the police, I just assumed that the house full of boys that lived in front of me had used it. To this day I have not seen it and the house full of boys moved out last week. This morning when I was walking to my car for the second time, I looked over my front porch to notice that I was missing a chair. Now granted I have 4 plastic chairs on my front porch and there is only one of me, but still it’s the PRINCIPLE of the matter. So I brushed it off thinking nothing of it, I fling my hair as I continue on with my morning to notice a chair that is fairly similar to my other chairs sitting on the drive-way of my new neighbors’ place that I have not met yet! Now granted it took me a few moments to connect the two, and I had to furrow my brow and I did the whole “(while looking at neighbors) that chair looks familiar… (turning head back to porch)…to my… (turning head back to neighbor’s)….chair.” And it finally did happen, I realized that it was my chair but due to the fact that I have not noticed this before, I began to question when this could have occurred.
So now I’m at a crossroad…do I approach the new neighbors about the whole chair removal, do I just go over and take it back (highly unlikely), or do I just let it slide. Now I don’t want to cause any problems, but I want to convey to them, even though I am a renter, it is still my property, and it’s only proper to ask before removing….is that too much to ask??
Slightly annoyed,
Melinda
3 Comments:
go get yer dadgum chair or yer friend with the pretty toenails and big belly will come get it for ya!
Has it stayed in it's original location since Mom went over and picked it up?
Chair update:
Saturday afternoon, while my mother was in town, she decided that she would take the chair issue into her own hands, and IN THE MIDDLE OF THE DAY, picked up the chair and placed it with the other chairs, to where it is at this very moment. I have not seen any movement from the house, besides the dance of the cars. So I don't know, I guess that we shall see what happens! :)
Post a Comment
<< Home