Friday, August 26, 2005

The Not-So-Graduate Graduate Student Assistant

So if you haven’t guessed already…I will (Lord willing I can complete my tax paper) be graduating in December...that is 103 days. Crazy…yes…I know! So anyways, one would assume that with this impending date that other would realize what is encroaching upon oneself and a fire would be lit under oneself and one would feel compelled to do different things….one being to complete the preverbal tax paper…the other would be to finally apply for the grad position. Well, today I did the later. Well at least, I let my boss know for the SECOND time that I am interested in the position…I was then told that I need to APPLY…I know about the whole equal opportunity act and all that bulls**t, but my stance is that I have worked hard, I have sacrificed a lot, not just grades but also life expanding opportunities for that woman. I have selflessly worked in the stupid Business Office, compiling with all of their crazy egotistical rules for two years, and now in the payroll office, as the wiping girl. For the past 8 months, I have turned that office into a organized running machine. And now, for some stupid reason, my future income until I graduate depends upon my references (the other people who work for you), the extra organizations that I don’t belong too because I am more concerned with my life outside of my so-called “college experience”, and my letter of application. Which is a sentence or so that indicates “my interest in an assistantship and my objectives in graduate study, and any other information that I feel should be included.” So what should I put?

“I am interested in this position because it was my goal at the original hire date as of January 1, 2003, when I skipped out on my youth group ski trip to learn about the BR system at SFA the day after New Years. When I discovered that my opportunity would be cut short my second semester of grad school due to one C in a personal finance class because all I had to offset that one grade was a B, I was heart broken. I didn’t cry in your office, but I cried all the way to Student Employment. So now, going into my third and final year at SFA, as I live off a $6.65/hr paycheck, I beg of you, please let me be a graduate assistant. This is my plea. I may never bleed purple, red, and white. I may never understand the crazies that do the whole “Axe’em Jacks” thing…but that’s just me. I would hope that after working with me for almost three years that you would understand that and you would understand me. I am a hard worker and if I were in your position, I would reward my good and faithful workers with this “promotion”. I promise not to slack in my work; I will not let the “title” go to my head. I will take the $6/hr increase in stride. I will no longer wear my flip-flops to work, because I will be able to afford the shoes that I crave to buy. I will wear office attire, because I could afford clothes in general. I will be more than happy to use your name as my reference when I graduate in 103 days. I will be proud to say that I went to and worked for a state institution. I will boast to my future employers that I got to work for the one and only D.F and that she believed in ME! When I pass my CPA, I will add your name to the many that I owe the great privilege to be considered in that honored society. I will laugh off what other people may say about you and respond with, “You just don’t know the REAL D. There is much more beneath the surface than you can see.” You see, I was born for this title. It is apart of me as much as anything. I can handle anything that you or anyone may throw at me and take it in stride. I believe in me, and I hope that you believe in me also. Thank you for this opportunity. I hope to make you proud.

Melinda Robie”

So that’s more than a sentence or so…but it’s something, right? I don’t know what to do…I’m stuck, I have 104 days, I can see the light at the end of the tunnel, but I’m dragging my feet!! And I don’t know why I’m hitting to self-destruct button!

Here I am Lord, pleading for the strength, to get through this semester, to lean not on my own understanding, but upon Yours alone.

What am I to do?

In tears,
Melinda

3 Comments:

At 8/26/2005 9:52 AM, Blogger Amanda said...

awwww... don't be in tears! i will give you $6! not an hour, just a one time installment. but maybe that will help???

 
At 8/26/2005 2:36 PM, Blogger Dawn Blake said...

so the reason why she asked to to apply is because she needs the application stuff on file. Maybe she is planning to hire you, but you have to fill out all the crap that goes with it. She won't just give you the job (even though you are her favorite worker). By the way that sentence is great, give that to her; it shows character.

 
At 8/26/2005 5:59 PM, Blogger Melinda said...

:)....thanks...I guess:

Amanda...honey child keep your money for the babye! :) But I appreciate the offer!

Dawn: Thanks! but I think that I may tone it down just a little more than that! :)

Hope you all have a great weekend!
BYE!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home